WASTE NOT - WANT NOT
Left-Over Posts? Snippets Not Quite Meaty Enough On Their Own To Make A Satisfying Post?
This Is The Place To Come To Use Them Up.

Tuesday 25 May 2010

Being Appreciative




could be a tad embarrassing.

We did a megashop yesterday at a supermarket in the nearest major town, using three trolleys between the two of us - in relays - to ferry the stuff to the check-out.

The cashier was so efficient, friendly, charmingly chatty and all round helpful, that I got the stuff loaded into bags and boxes in double-quick time without getting frazzled,  all the purchases separated into categories and stowed like with like -  okay, I am a bit anal about these things -  that I had to show my appreciation.  After Beloved had paid - getting out the correct card and putting it in the right slot and remembering the pin number first go - I was so relieved it was all over and having moved a little  away from the check-out to accommodate my collection of trolleys, I bellowed my thanks.

"You have been most efficient and helpful, thank you so much for your patience and kindness".

Everybody on the nearest check-outs turned to stare at the mad woman with three laden trolleys, creating a disturbance of the usual grumpy and harried supermarket atmosphere. And then the unthinkable happened!

They all beamed at me and everybody - and I mean everybody - shouted "Thank YOU and Good Bye.
The "bye byes" followed me halfway out of the store. I still have the cashier's delighted voice ringing in my ears.