WASTE NOT - WANT NOT
Left-Over Posts? Snippets Not Quite Meaty Enough On Their Own To Make A Satisfying Post?
This Is The Place To Come To Use Them Up.

Sunday 10 October 2010

Vignettes of French Life (No. 9 in a series)


Sunday October 10, 2010
11:15 AM
Not far from Cannes


Tell me something, please. Is the burning of garden refuse allowed where you live? Maybe I'm a bit picky, but I'm inclined to think that there's no good reason for this sort of behaviour. At least twenty years ago, Calgary (and most other Canadian cities) banned open fires, except when food is involved. Air quality was the issue, I do believe.
Therefore, while I can still blacken my steak, I can't pour gasoline on green branches or a pile of wet leaves and put a match to it all.

La France entière, on the other hand, can't wait until the summer fire ban is lifted on October 1 to indulge the national passion for garden fires, the smokier the better. What's unusual about this particular one is that there's actually somebody keeping an eye on it.
Posted by Picasa