WASTE NOT - WANT NOT
Left-Over Posts? Snippets Not Quite Meaty Enough On Their Own To Make A Satisfying Post?
This Is The Place To Come To Use Them Up.

Monday 16 May 2011

Vignettes of Life in France (#10 in a series)

 

As you might have heard, things are hopping in Cannes.  The last time my Favourite Belgian and I made an impromptu visit to the festival, we failed to see a single famous face and went home, only to find out the next day that U2 gave an impromptu concert on the steps of the Palais des Festivals moments after we left.   

A friend persuaded me to give it another chance this year.  We spent the day strolling the Croisette but missed Brad Pitt(who looks more and more like Johnny Depp)  drumming up business for The Tree of Life (which was booed), and could only speculate who was in the helicopter that made the 30 second flight between a rather large yacht and the rear entrance of the Palais des Festivals.  I doubled-checked all the tall blondes for signs of being Uma Thurman but they seemed mostly to be Slovenian wannabes. 

But the day was not spent in vain!  Here’s what we did see:

Mere steps from the red carpet were these two insouciant fellas.    That’s their boat in the background.   

IMG_7163

 

And this could only be a famous French film director, blending in with the locals at a sidewalk cafe.  Or was he actually the man my friend’s Monday horoscope meant when it exhorted her to :’ Head for a beautiful seaside resort. You'll meet someone with a sexy voice and attractive build!’? We’ll never know – his hair put her off.   

IMG_7158

The Rue d’Antibes, one street in front from the Croisette.  While Armani and Dolce and Gabbana have prime seafront locations, there are way more people on the Rue d’Antibes, mainly because the shops there have stuff you can actually afford.  I came home with two bathmats for 15Euros and had a 3-hour lunch with the blonde in black-and-white.     

IMG_7153

My first car

IMG_7152

My next car

IMG_7170

Oh!  My double – on, or near, the red carpet!! No wonder she looks happy, with her very own bodyguard to muscle autograph seekers out of the way.   

IMG_7143

That’s it, my celebrity stalking is over for this year.  Although, if I run into Helen Mirren at the supermarket (she’s got a house just over the road) I’ll be letting you know.